The quality of broadband and cellular service has resulted in an entirely new market segment that does not have a landline at home.
Broadband signaling means that your alarm panel sends a digital signal directly to your monitoring service. This is transmitted via IP directly without the conversion to a voice signal. This is the difference between broadband/internet signaling and VoIP.
Advantages of Broadband Monitoring:
- Alarm panels designed specifically for network transmission of data
- Monitoring station is set up to receive digital transmission of data
- Some panels have the capability of both wireless and network cable transmissions
- Longevity. Unlike a phone line, it is unlikely you will be getting rid of your internet connection.
- Money. Cost savings by eliminating the need for a dedicated phone line.
Disadvantages of Broadband Monitoring:
- Dependency on power to transmit the signal
- Dependency on cable connection (can be cut)
- Dependency on network (if your internet is down signals can be transmitted