Whether you are at home or on the go, you should keep these safety tips in mind:
- Do you have a first aid kit at home?
- Is your medicine cabinet out of reach from young children?
- Do you own a shredder to destroy important documents?
- Do you open your door to strangers at odd times of the day?
- Do you have a peephole so you can see the person outside without having to open a door?
- Do you give out your personal information freely to strangers when they come to your door?
- Do you know the phone number of your local police station?
- Do you leave your fireplace and/or candles on when you’re leaving your home?
On the Go
- At night, do you walk on well-lit routes?
- Do you avoid isolated bus stops?
- Do you walk facing traffic so you identify incoming cars?
- Do you carry large amounts of cash while traveling?
- Do you leave your luggage unattended in public areas?
- When leaving for extended periods of time, do you let a friend or family member know of your travel plans?
- Do you have a friend or neighbor pick up your mail if you are gone for an extended period of time?